Listen to the Episode
Mercury Retrograde did everything it could to throw a monkey wrench into this recording. So you’ll hear some pops and pings in this ep. Nevertheless … they persisted! After their “What’s Good?” check in, Shontavia continues the cultural appropriation discussion from S1E1, as she compares and contrasts Kim Kardashian’s Kimono debacle with questions about Rihanna’s appearance on the cover of Harper’s Bazaar China. Tonya continues her coverage of Facebook’s Libra Coin as democratic members of the House Financial Services Committee, led by Chairwoman Maxine “Auntie Maxine” Waters, call on FB to halt Libra’s development pending Congressional inquiry. The first hearing commences on July 17, 2019.
- SJ is heading for a MUCH-needed vacay to celebrate a big wedding anniversary.
- TE celebrates the accomplishments of two amazing African-Americans in the news, tennis phenom Cori “Coco” Gauff who took Wimbledon by storm and blockchain mogul Dawn Dickson on her recent 10 Million VC angel raise.
WHAT’S GOT YOU LIT
- SJ: Defines cultural misappropriation and makes a key and nuanced distinction between Kim K.’s “tone deaf” roll out of Kimono versus Rihanna’s approach to the Harper’s Bazaar China cover. The entire team was Chinese and directed by those members to execute the cover. A distinction WITH a difference.
- TE: Explains in greater details some of the hurdles FB faces before Congress and concerns over privacy among FAANG’s in at Web 3.0 world.
- SJ: Don’t give away your knowledge for FREE.99. Know your value and stick with your value. Set your rates and stick to it. It’s okay to say no.
- TE: Watch the Facebook Hearing (Wed 10 AM). FYI, after we recorded, we learned that Mueller will no longer be testifying on that same day. So definitely tune in.
- UPCOMING WEBINAR (Discount Code): We are halfway through the year. That preso, webinar, book, podcast, or business you put on your New Year’s Resolutions? It’s TIME. Make the second half of the year your time to shine. Join us to learn how to Make Your Fire Work!: Your Independence Day August 13, 2019 at 2:00 PM Eastern ($299). But listeners and mailing list subscribers can register for only $99 with the following code: LEVELUP0819. This discount expires on August 4, 2019. REGISTER TODAY!
- Rihanna’s Harper’s Bazaar China cover sparks questions of cultural appropriation
- Facebook Libra Hearing before the Financial Services Committee chaired by Rep. Maxine Waters
- Financial Services Committee letter to Facebook request that it halt further development
- Link to Tonya’s initial coverage of LibraCoin in LIT Podcast S1E1
- Tax treatment of cryptocurrencies (IRS Guidance)
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency, Explained (video by Tonya Evans)
- Coming soon: Tonya delivers online video chats and webinars about all things blockchain and crypto for beginners. Sign up to receive announcements and opportunities
- FAANG: Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google (aka Alphabet)
- About Dawn Dickson’s 10 Mil round and PopCom. Oh. And Dawn’s grill, because it’s epic.
- About 15-year old tennis phenom Coco Gauff at this year’s Wimbledon Championships