Listen to the Episode
In “What’s Good?”, Shontavia shares that her “ask and receive” energy has attracted an impressive list of upcoming speaking engagements and an acceptance letter from the Fulbright Association. Tonya makes the LOGOS Top 100 List of POC blockchain influencers and celebrates the publication of her latest law review article Cryptokitties, Cryptography and Copyright. In What’s Got You LIT™, Shontavia uses Philly-born rap artist Meek Mill’s recent release and tumultuous criminal justice experience to highlight the system’s chronic failures, particularly as it relates to black and brown populations. Tonya discusses trademark law basics and whether Ohio State University can register the word “THE” as a source-indicator of The Ohio State University. Delta Sigma Theta legacy, Shontavia, survives Alpha Kappa Alpha legacy, Tonya’s, “Skee wee” to demonstrate a registered sensory trademark. Both co-hosts agree that all the push back and confusion about Ohio State’s application is “much ado about nothing” (in Shontavia’s nod to Shakespeare, which neither co-host could remember while recording!). Finally, during the LIT Level Up & Make Your Fire Work™ segment, Shontavia asks you to write the vision for your life by answering four important questions and Tonya encourages you to help amplify the actions of at least three others who you see walking the walk. Trouble seeing the complete show notes? Visit us at LITBraintrust.com and follow us @LITBraintrust.
- Shontavia asked and the Universe answered! She has five upcoming speaking engagements and then she’s off to Stockholm to talk about intellectual property and entrepreneurship. She also received great news from the Fulbright Association.
- Tonya made the LOGOS Top 100 list of POC influencers in blockchain. The list is curated by blockchain, politico, and inclusion maven, Cleve Mesidor. Tonya also announces the release of her recent law review article, Cryptokitties, Cryptography and Copyright.
WHAT’S GOT YOU LIT™
- Shontavia’s been meditating so she’s in a good mood this week, especially because Meek Mill is free! She uses the example of Philly-born rap artist Meek Mill’s tumultuous criminal justice experience to highlight the failures of the system as a whole, particularly as applied to black and brown populations.
- Tonya discusses trademark law basics after exploring whether Ohio State University can register the word “THE” as a source-indicator of The Ohio State University. Delta Sigma Theta legacy, Shontavia, survives Alpha Kappa Alpha legacy, Tonya’s, “Skee wee” to demonstrate a registered sensory trademark. Both co-hosts agree that all the pushback and confusion is “much ado about nothing” (in her nod to Shakespeare, which neither co-host could remember while recording!)
LIT LEVEL UP™ AND MAKE YOUR FIRE WORK™
- Shontavia encourages you to have and hold the vision for your life. Ask and answer the following questions: What do you want things to look like (your life, personal brand, company, and energy).
- Tonya piggybacks on vision for yourself and asks you to pick three people (women, POC, those in marginalized communities), and “amplify” the fire of others. Tweet, post, share their work. Lift as you climb.
- LOGOS.io Top 100 List: http://www.mylogos.io/uploads/1/2/0/3/120309139/logos_100.pdf
- Cryptokitties, Cryptography and Copyright (Evans, AIPLA Quarterly Journal, 47:2): https://aipla.org/detail/journal-issue/quarterly-journal-47-2
- Free Meek (Amazon Prime): https://www.amazon.com/Free-Meek/dp/B07QC4FSQ1
- Plea deal ends Meek Mill’s years of excessive punishment, prosecutor says: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/27/us/meek-mill-probation-over/index.html
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, registered the sensory trademark “skee wee” in 2017 (the only black greek letter organization to do so thus far): https://www.watchtheyard.com/akas/skee-wee-alpha-kappa-alpha-trademark/
- ‘Rammer Jammer,’ ‘Roll Tide’ and 41 other things that University of Alabama can sue you over: https://www.al.com/sports/2013/11/from_rammer_jammer_and.html
- How to reset when you feel overwhelmed, out of control, or too busy to reach your dream: Lessons from Tiffany Haddish and Meek Mill: https://lvrg.co/how-to-reset-when-you-feel-overwhelmed-out-of-control-or-too-busy-to-reach-your-dream-lessons-from-tiffany-haddish-and-meek-mill/
- WTF? Welcome To The Wild, Weird World Of Trademarking The Alphabet: https://www.fastcompany.com/3042515/wtf-inside-the-wild-weird-world-of-trademarking-the-alphabet
- Shout outs to:
Where to find Tonya:
- Website: http://www.proftonyaevans.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/IPProfEvans
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/IPProfEvans/
Where to find Shontavia:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShontaviaJEsq
- Instagram: https://twitter.com/ShontaviaJEsq
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shontaviajesq/
If you love this podcast, tell the world. If there’s something wrong, please tell us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Produced by Stephanie Renee for Soul Sanctuary, Inc.: https://www.soul-sanctuary.net/